Tuesday, July 29, 2014

SantaBarbaraTown

last night with fam. Hernandez
...and finishing that mondongo, wanting more! Crazy!

(Not my favorite Psych reference, but I'll take what I can get)

Hello! So I had cambios this week, which means here's Hermana Pickett, broadcasting for the first time from Santa Barbara (el Llano), zona Cofradías. Cool, right? It got so much cooler when I remembered what town Shawn Spencer lives in. C'mon, son.

There isn't a whole lot of time, when you live in Copan, to say goodbye to people, so I didn't do a lot of that last week. We had a lesson with fam. Hernandez (yeah, maybe I cried a little) and one last lesson with Sulma, and then it was already time to go home. Luckily, it turns out that I pack at the speed of light, so Hermana Miller and I ran a few loads of laundry in the machines (laundry machines are celestial. Go and hug your laundry machine for me) and then we took off nice and early Tuesday morning (although we did go running...for about 10 minutes). We had a nice miracle that morning, because we had prayed that we would be able to get me and the suitcases on the bus without any problems. I then said, Let's make sure to leave 15 minutes early, and then when we got out to the road, Hermana Miller asked if we should wait there for a taxi or start walking. We started walking, and then found a taxi after about five minutes. He got us down to the bus, we loaded my stuff on, we got in and sat down, and after about 30 seconds, the bus left. It was pretty great. I'm glad that our blessing came in a peaceful and orderly fashion, unlike the elders, who had surely said the same prayer and had to chase the bus in a moto taxi in order to catch it. Usually we do divisions with the sisters in La Entrada when we have a next day meeting in San Pedro, but they left us home because I was still sick with my pre-changes cold/fever combination. Good Miller/Pickett bonding time, that's for sure.

Changes meeting was very nice. President Dester is really an excellent mission President, and I am so glad to be here during his time as president. Hermana Miller, upon abandoning the idea that I was going to be a Sister Leader Trainer (I didn't ever think that was happening, but she didn't let it go until another sister was announced in that position) suggested that I might be going to Santa Barbara, because other sisters have made the Copán/ Sta Barbara jump before. I told Hermana Miller that if I was going there, Hermana Bahr (who was currently being transfered out of Sta Barbara) was coming to take my place. And exactly thus did it come to pass. So I am no in Sta Barbara with a cute little Catracha (o sea, a lovely young lady of Honduras) named Hermana Dávila.

Perks: this area is beautiful. Like it is seriously gorgeous here, and in a very Pennsylvania meets Utah kind of way, so that's really cool. I am still in a branch but it is huge and practically a ward, we just need our priesthood holders to pay tithing. Our area has practically no hills and there is a very large soccer field right outside of our house, perfect for running in the morning at whatever pace our hearts desire, no matter how individual it may be. That aside, I kind of miss Copán. Crazy, right?! I never thought I'd say that. I really, really miss Hermana Miller. I miss being so united with my companion. That's not Hermana Dávila's fault, it just takes a little while to get used to a new person no matter what and we're not used to each other yet. I miss having my footing. It's really lame to be a senior comp in an unfamiliar area. The good part is that we had a meeting with our branch president (who is the most pilas person I have ever met. I love having RM branch presidents) and he is all about la obra misional, so it's all going to turn out just great.

I don't have very many exciting stories this week. I'll work on that. It rains here every afternoon, and when it rains the power goes out, and the missionaries generally are not allowed out at night if there isn't power. Oh! Here's something. Upon coming home early one night, we made dinner with our neighbor, because she's got a gas stove and can cook without power. So we made crepes to share, and then she shared lunch with us in return. She made sopa de mondongo. Mondongo is the spanish word for cow stomach. Now, cows, fun fact, do not have intestines. So the stomach lining acts as the intestine. When Hermana Miller had sopa de mondongo, it wasn't quite clean, and I'm sure you can imagine what dirty cow stomach/intestine would be full of. So I was dreading that soup a lot. But it was actually really delicious! The stomach parts just tasted like very soft beef and our neighbor put in corn and platanos and yuka--yum!

I still love being a missionary. I know that the Church is true, so to me it is worth any sacrifice to be able to share the good news of the gospel with everyone I talk to. I know that God is our Heavenly Father, I love Him and I love His work. I hope you all have a wonderful week! Stay tuned for more adventures (and Psych references) soon!

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment