Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hermana Pickett Turned 1!

Hermana Porter and I climbed a mountain to contact a reference, and there was a pretty sweet view of the entire city of Copán Ruinas


1 year with a candle and carrot cake! Hurray! 

We'll bring the world His truth! 

Here's your daily dose of insanity--I've been on my mission for a whole year! Isn't that crazy?! Fittingly, our week was full and fantastic. Numbers wise, this week marks the collective most I have ever done in Copán. Turns out five months of hard work really do take effect. 

Following with the usual, we've been working a lot with inactive members. Hermana Pickett life lessons: 1. If you have a questions about doctrine, ask someone! They can help! 2. If you are the one being asked about doctrine, tread carefully and please rely more heavily upon scripture than upon your opinino. Luckily, the Spirit can teach truth in all things, and we are blessed to be accompanies by Him in our lessons. So it turned out fine. And oh, I forgot lesson #3: If you ever find yourself saying to two sister missionaries: "No, I don't like forgiving. I'd rather just go to Hell than forgive my husband" you should probably take a minute to sort out your priorities. 

On Tuesday of this week, we had divisions with the Sister Leader Trainers, one of whom is now Sister Porter, my companion from the CCM (a year ago!). Pickett/Porter reunite! As it turns out, we still love working together. The only differences are that we now know how to be missionaries and we're fluent in Spanish. That helps. Sister Porter and I had a first lesson with a woman named Sulma, who is incredibly ready for the gospel. She, in fact, is on our big three list this week. Hence (in no particular order):

1. Sulma. Used to be Catholic, couldn't find lasting happiness in that church or the Evangelical churches she has attended, devours reading assignments, and is anxiously awaiting a spiritual green light to be baptized. 

2. Lesly. Still really pilas, but was invited by two other muchachas to a different church and went with them...but still promising. Alwasy feels an incredible spirit in our lessons (as do we) and is also waiting on baptismal green light. 

3. Familia Hernandez. Talk about saving the beset for last! We have seen so many Hernandez miracles this week. For example, Julio is still alcolhol free. That's two weeks sober. That's awesome! Even more awesome was the story we heard on Saturday: Julio and Sonia were evidently passing through a moment of strife, and in an act of impetuous anger, Juliostormed over to the cantina, determined to drink a beer. His lovely, wonderful wife goes to their room, falls to her knees, and begs the Lord to help her husband. At that exact moment, Julio was raising the first bottle to his lips when a friend (the same friend who has been trying tirelessly to make Julio drink) says, "Man, haven't you been going to church? Aren't you with God now? People are praying for you. Don't make their prayers in vain." In an instant, Julio remembered how much he didn't want the beer in his hand. Without so much as a drop, he went home. 

Second miracle: yesterday morning, we beat fam. Hernandex to church. That hasn't happened in about three weeks, and as it got closer and closer to 9am, we were quite distressed that they hadn't arrived. We were ready to go to their house and get them, buyt there wasn't enough time. Finally, just before the meeting started, we knelt in the primary room and pleaded that they would come. And come they did. We worried all the way to the last verse of the opening hymn, but they came. I never cease to be amazed by the blessings that are being poured out upon that family, nor by the labor and faither they are putting in to deserve those blessings. 

As Hermana Porter and I celebrated together our One Year mark (a very happy coincedence), she said something a little foreboding: "I don't know, but I've hear that at a year, your body just shuts down. It can't keep going." Well, body, if that's true, that's too bad. I've got less that six months to serve the Lord as a full-time, authorized representative of Jesus Christ, and I'm going to use up every bit of those six months in His work. I love my Heavenly Father, I love my Savior, and I love to be a missionary of this true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

I love you all and I hope you have a wonderful week! 

Love, Hermana Pickett

Pickett and Porter, together again!

No comments:

Post a Comment